Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Build a high resolution synthetic aperture radar (SAR) in your backyard


In these charts I show how to build a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) in your backyard.

There are many reasons to make your own SAR, including:
1. learn about radar imaging by actually doing it yourself
2. SAR image your car to learn why you were pulled over
3. measure the radar cross section of your favorite model airplane

The SAR presented here is based on the $240 rail SAR that i built in graduate school using parts from the Dayton Hamvention, a cordless drill, an old Genie garage door opener, shown here.

Enjoy, and let me know if you build a DIY synthetic aperture radar of your own :)

3 comments:

  1. I can't, it is too complex to me. Darn, I can't imagine this device in my backyard! Hats off, Mr. Vacuum Tube, it is your game :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering if its possible to build something cheap like this using microwave interferometry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find the extension link to see the process, can you send me the link or forward me that in my email..its coldplay.se@gmail.com
    i am in my graduate project so i am working with SAR to get the image of the target.
    please send me..it will be great help.
    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete